443 Days in The Chief City of the Province of the Gods
Commemoration of the 70th Anniversary of Matsue’s Designation as an International City of Culture and Tourism
Sunday June 27, 2021–Sunday June 12, 2022
Exhibition Room 3
Lafcadio Hearn (Koizumi Yakumo) arrived in Matsue over 130 years ago. His works are still read around the world today, and in the city of Matsue, glimpses of his time here remain.
This exhibition explores the 443 days Hearn spent in Matsue. The six sections use Glimpses of Unfamiliar Japan, the diary of Hearn’s friend Nishida Sentaro, letters to Hearn’s friends and acquaintances, newspapers of the time, treasured documents of the Tomita family*, interviews about Hearn’s private life in Matsue, and eulogies from his students, to examine his insight into the Japan of his time.
* Tomita was the first inn Hearn stayed at when he came to Matsue
Hearn postings on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
hash tag: #神々の国の首都443 #matsue443
Measures to prevent COVID-19 infection
* Please wear a mask in the museum.
* Please refrain from entering the museum if you have a fever or a cough, or do not feel well.
* In some circumstances, admission to the museum may be limited.
* Please disinfect your hands using an alcohol-based disinfectant when entering the museum.
* Please maintain a distance of over one metre from other people.
* Please do not touch the display cases.
* The staff will regularly disinfect the museum.
* The monitors are currently out of use. We apologise for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.
* Please disinfect your hands using an alcohol-based disinfectant when handling books.